SGCNZ Teachers Go Global (TGG)
SGCNZ Teachers Go Global 2018 – Apply Now!
Application for SGCNZ Teachers Go Global 2018 close on 15 September 2017! So get in there quick and apply now!
SGCNZ Teachers Go Global (TGG)
“Just an amazing experience, it is just so inclusive and gorgeous, it feels so right. I can see why lots of actors and practitioners want to come and work and perform here again and again… I am coming back to Christchurch invigorated and excited about my teaching and I will cherish this experience. Thank you SGCNZ TGG, it has fulfilled all my goals and dreams about this special place. – Annette Thomson, 2015
Shakespeare Globe Centre New Zealand is delighted to be working closely with Shakespeare’s Globe Education, London to further develop the course offered for the first time to celebrate SGCNZ’s 20th anniversary in 2011. Following its success, it was offered again over the July school holidays in 2013 and 2015. Teachers from throughout New Zealand were selected for this extraordinary opportunity.
SGCNZ’s Teachers Go Global (SGCNZ TGG) comprises an intensive two week professional development programme at Shakespeare’s Globe, London in the July school holidays running parallel with SGCNZ’s Young Shakespeare Company study and performance tour. SGCNZ TGG is held every second years and provides the chance to work with Globe Education practitioners and a director in workshops and rehearsals, culminating in performance on the Globe stage for an invited public! Workshops include ones on Teaching Practice, Text, Movement, Voice, Music, Film, Costume, Dance…all geared towards teaching secondary and primary aged students. Tertiary drama teachers may also apply.
For more information visit www.sgcnz.org.nz or E: email@example.com
or call Dawn Sanders 027 283 6016 E: Action-Sanders@xtra.co.nz
$8000, (Approx. – dependent on fare and accommodation increases and exchange rate)
$8750 if also going to Stratford-Upon-Avon
This cost includes:
Non-refundable application fee of $150 to be paid with application
plus, if successful…
Registration Fee 200 payable to SGCNZ
All other payments payable to WP Maher Tours (by specified installments) – $8000:
- Airfares and taxes flying to/from with Cathay Pacific ex Auckland
- Overnight stay in Hong Kong en route (as per Student group)
- Coach transfers on arrival / departure London
- 12 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast at Bankside House
- London Transport allowance
- National Theatre backstage tour and theatre ticket
- Globe fees
- Travel Insurance
All funding must be obtained by the selected teachers. SGCNZ will act as the umbrella organisation where necessary for funding.
- A desire to share the knowledge gained through the course is vital.
- Teachers must agree to have their students participate in SGCNZ’s Regional University of Otago Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Festivals and/or Essay, Costume Design, Music Composition, Static Image, Poster and DVD Cover Design Competitions or Primarily Playing Shakespeare – if not already doing so.
- The group will work with Globe Education personnel and the Globe Company’s chief experts on text, voice and movement and with other high-calibre Globe practitioners over the course.
- It must be clearly understood from the outset that selection does not carry any funding with it except that SGCNZ takes no fee except for minimal actual printing, phone and stationery costs – all SGCNZ’s organisational time is donated.
- Applications should be made exclusively through Shakespeare Globe Centre New Zealand.
- All successful applicants need to be (or become) financial members of SGCNZ.
The anticipated outcomes are to have:
- Gained first-hand experience of Globe Education practices and their application in the classroom
- Observed Shakespeare in selected schools in London
- Gained detailed practical and theoretical insights into Shakespeare’s stage craft as revealed by the architecture of the ‘Wooden O’
- Explored period performance practices in relation to Shakespeare
- Gained individual acting experience on the Globe stage
- Used the Globe’s resources to examine the range of practical knowledge gathered by Globe Education and other staff over the past decade
- Contributed positively to the group dynamics
Applicants will be selected by SGCNZ to represent New Zealand as members of SGCNZ Teachers Go Global
- Each Teacher will need to undertake to raise approximately $7,800 each (extension to Stratford Upon Avon and additional cost of approx. $850)
- A Report (approx 500 words) from each Teacher will be required after the return to New Zealand. It is anticipated that this will also be what is used for personal funding compliance.
- In line with its ethos of maximising the benefits of the experience and respecting the facilitation role played by SGCNZ, it is required that the Teachers will be involved in SGCNZ activities, as is appropriate, and be advocates and ambassadors for SGCNZ.
The Teachers will work closely with Globe Education Faculty.
Playing Shakespeare will be explored in the context of this unique space.
The course schedule will include:
- Sessions with the Heads of Movement, Voice, and Text, Music & Wardrobe
- Tours of the Globe, the Rose and a Shakespeare Rally
- Study of Elizabethan stages
- Talks and Q&As with Globe actors and/or directors
- Rehearsals by a Globe Education director
- Performing a short scene on the Globe stage
- Visiting some local schools with Globe Ed practitioners
- Attending performances
- Some interaction with SGCNZ Young Shakespeare Company
The Application Process
You will also need to:
- Write a statement of intent of approximately 400 words explaining: why you are attracted to apply for the programme, what you think you will gain from the experience and how you will engage with SGCNZ and its activities on your return
- Submit a brief CV, which includes experience in teaching Shakespeare (2 page max)
- Send a head and shoulders photo (suitable and available for reproduction up to A4 size in the media and on the web), file no larger than 1MB. If hard copy, write your name and that of the photographer on the back and permission to use it.
- A Reference from your Principal or other senior staff member
- Contact details of another character referee
- $150 Application Fee (cheques should be made payable to SGCNZ or payment made electronically to account 11-7234-0200971-11, reference TGG + your name )
- Members of SGCNZ’s Education Advisory Group will meet to make the selections
- The finalists will be interviewed face-to-face or by phone
Contact us with any queries